Department of Social Services
Foster personal responsibility
Improve the quality of life
Protect our vulnerable citizens
The mission of the Department of Social Services is to enhance the quality of life for citizens of Pasquotank County. A team of social workers, income maintenance caseworkers, management personnel, and a support staff of 96 employees work to provide economic and Social Work services to the citizens of Pasquotank County.
The Department of Social Services operates under a five-member board appointed to three-year terms. Two Board members are State appointed, two members are appointed by the Board of Commissioners, and one member is appointed by the DSS Board. The present board consists of: Chairman, Jeff Dixon ; Vice-Chairman, Ms. Mary Walker; Ms. Myrtle Rivers, Rev. G. Curtis Newby, Sr. and Ms. Alice Stallings. Recorder to the Board is Ms. Deidre Moore. Additional info can be found on the State's website at www.ncdhhs.gov/dss/local.
What This Department Does
- Coordinates agency services aimed at assisting families in achieving self-sufficiency
- Protects children from neglect and abuse and investigates complaints
- Coordinates foster care, health support, and adoption services for children in need
- Licenses foster care homes
- Assists senior and disabled adults in their efforts to lead independent and productive lives
- Administers the County's Food Stamp, Medicaid, Energy, and Work First Family Assistance program
- Protects elderly and disabled adults from abuse, neglect and exploitation, and investigation of these referrals
- Child care services
PLEASE, DO NOT MAKE A CHILD OR ADULT PROTECTIVE SERVICES REPORT BY E-MAIL.
The Pasquotank County Department of Social Services does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or in the provision of services.
Melissa Stokely, Director
Administrative Officer (Personnel and Fiscal)-Sheri Raynor
Income Maintenance Program Administrator(all economic services)-Janet Sawyer
Social Work Program Administrator (including child care)-Kathy Ford
Elizabeth City, NC 27909
The Department of Social Services is located at 709 Roanoke Ave. Click Here for a Map.
Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.