Pasquotank County Sheriff’s Animal Control

North Carolina

Pasquotank Animal Control serves Elizabeth City, Pasquotank County and may be reached by calling 252-331-1500. Animal Control is available seven days a week from 8:00am to 4:00pm.  Emergency response is available after hours.


 All dogs and cats picked up by Animal Control are taken to the SPCA of Northeastern Carolina located at 100 Wilson Street in Elizabeth City. The SPCA can be reached by calling 252-338-5222.


The hours open to the public are:

Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 10:00am to 3:30pm

Thursday and Friday 10:00am to 6:00pm

Closed on Holidays


Pasquotank County requires County dog tags for dogs 6 months of age and older. The tags are available at the SPCA. The cost for a tag is $15.00. Anyone with 3 or more dogs will require a kennel license which is $20.00 per year. The dated paper receipt is proof of purchase.


North Carolina State Law requires that ALL dogs and cats four months (16 weeks) of age and older have a valid rabies vaccination. Valid proof (consisting of a certificate of vaccination and tag) must be available at all times for any officer request. Rabies vaccinations must be done by a Veterinarian or other licensed rabies vaccination professional. Rabies vaccinations expire; please check your certificate dates to maintain coverage.


Pasquotank County is covered by a public nuisance animal ordinance requiring owners to be responsible for their pets’ actions. Additionally all subdivisions and trailer parks have a leash law.


Elizabeth City does not allow more than three animals over the age of 6 months to be maintained on any property located in the city limits.


Any animal which bites a human that causes a break in the skin must be reported to animal control. Any animal not current on its rabies vaccination will be quarantined for 10 days at the SPCA or any veterinary facility in Pasquotank County. The owner will be responsible for all costs of this quarantine. The animal will not be released from quarantine until it has been properly vaccinated for rabies after the quarantine period is over.


Dangerous Dog Forms


Permit Application for Potentially Dangerous/Dangerous Dog

Periodic  Permit  Inspection _Checklist

Initial  Inspection _Checklist

Dangerous Dog Change of Ownership Form

Dangerous Dog Permit Change of Address Form




North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission


The North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission recognizes that Animal Control Offices across the state are experiencing an increase in calls related to wildlife.   It is imperative that we work cooperatively to ensure our citizens are provided with timely and accurate information pertaining to problem wildlife situations. In an effort to help your office and the Commission provide customer service efficiently and effectively please share the following information when requests for assistance with wildlife are received. For calls requesting assistance with wildlife:

1. Rarely and only under the most extreme circumstances does the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission trap and relocate any nuisance wildlife. For technical guidance and staff contact information to help individuals solve situations with wildlife causing a nuisance or wildlife causing property damage go to

2. For callers experiencing property damage from wildlife there are three basic options:

a.       Seek technical guidance on habitat modifications or other long term solutions to reduce wildlife being attracted to the property by going to

b.       Request a depredation permit to trap the wildlife causing the damage call 919-707-0050 and ask for district biologist contact information or call WRC Dispatch at 800-662-7137. The biologist and/or enforcement officer determines whether the situation warrants a permit.

c.       Hire a certified wildlife damage control agent (WDCA) who can help with habitat modifications and if a depredation permit is warranted can write the permit and trap the animal.   A WDCA cannot issue depredation permits for big game animals: deer, bear, wild turkey. Contact information for WDCAs can be found at   Search by county for certified WDCAs.   Wildlife damage control agents are certified by the Commission.   A WDCA agent must take a two day training course and pass a test to become certified. WDCAs are in the wildlife damage control business and charge for their services.

3.        For nuisance wildlife such as a wild animal that is coming on caller's property often, coming close to human dwellings and becoming use to being around humans go to information on reducing human/wildlife conflicts and living with wildlife in an area.

Please share this information with all staff answering the phone or interacting with the public. You are welcome to add this information to your website or post it where it can be viewed by the public.